This year, NAMM was particularly interesting, not only for the new amazing instruments, but also for the new ways of connecting them. In fact, Yamaha introduced the concept of MIDI Wireless with the UD-BT01 and the MD-BT01. Maybe it doesn’t sound so groundbreaking right now, but try to see this products as the first step towards a new generation of MIDI.
MIDI Wireless – The UD-BT01 and the MD-BT01
We have already seen some solutions that allowed the MIDI events transmission to be done without using cables, but these two have it takes to take the cake. If you’re tired of struggling to move in your studio and not being able to place your instruments however you want, you should get rid of your cables and switch to MIDI Wireless.
“These products give keyboardists and drummers unprecedented freedom,” said Mark Anderson, director of marketing, Keyboard Division, Yamaha Corporation of America. “Now, connecting instruments to a computer can be done wirelessly, making it even easier to tap into the wide variety of creative and educational software applications.”
The Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) protocol is currently supported on Mac OS X Yosemite and devices with iOS 9.2 or later. The UD-BT01 and the MD-BT01 are plug n’ play and they are really easy to use. You just have to plug them in and they will allow the MIDI events of your instruments to be transmitted wireless to a DAW or an iOS application. The UD-BT01 connects to the USB-To Host port of the instrument, via the USB cable. The device can be powered by any USB adapter. The MD-BT01 connects to the MIDI ports of the instrument, particularly the MIDI port powers the adapter. When the hardware is connected and matches correctly you just have to choose the Bluetooth MIDI Adaptor as a MIDI port in the settings of your application.
MIDI Wireless – Features
- Controller apps allowing one-touch configuration of Digital Pianos’ internal metronomes and other functions
- Customize digital drum kits using an intuitive app interface
- Use with tone generation apps to access a wide variety of sounds not available in the instrument itself.
- Record your daily practice sessions with ease, then play them back to analyze difficult passages.
- Visual effects that add dynamic graphics to your live performances.
- Power consumption 26mW.
- Bluetooth Ver4.0 (GATT compatible).